Miss Manners: She didn’t take her husband’s name, and I don’t know what to call her

DEAR MISS MANNERS: Miss A marries Mr. B but chooses to keep her original surname. How should she be addressed?

These options all seem wrong: Miss A (because she’s married), Mrs. A (she’s not married to Mr. A) and Mrs. B (she’s keeping A). And Ms. A may be considered a cop-out in some situations. What to do?

GENTLE READER: Take the cop-out, as you call it. Miss Manners would call it a graceful and traditional — yes, traditional — way of solving such problems. Isn’t that what you are requesting?

DEAR MISS MANNERS: Why is it considered taboo to ask a woman her age? Why would a woman not be obliged to answer when asked her age?

Source link