Introduction to OpenSSL Version
The following article provides an outline for OpenSSL Version. OpenSSL is a software which is used for secure communication of applications hosted over servers. OpenSSL software has some set of predefined libraries which is used for establishing network and identifying any kind of phishing activities, eavesdropping, spoofing that occurs over the network and intrude the streamline communication. All the major websites which support for https protocol make use of OpenSSL, which possess both the SSL and TLS protocols. There is also a unique usage of this software in implementation of C language as entire C language use cryptographic functions allowing OpenSSL as a wrapper over it.
Different OpenSSL Versions
There are certain versions of OpenSSL which is used for implementation and has various features supported and some of them getting deprecated from it which are as follows:
1. 0.9.1b – 0.9.1c
This version of OpenSSL version got released on 23 December 1998 and was initially released which marked the start of the project officially. There are certain changes that are present within the release of this version of OpenSSL which are as follows:
- Addition of OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER to crypto.h that changed SSLeay to OpenSSL version strings.
- Incorporated some of the popular no RSA/DSA patches that allows for compilation of RSA-free SSLeay.
- Some fix happens for a bug rsaref.h that was not found under compile-time because symlink to include fixups on the top-level documents.
- Addition of configurations for modification and manipulation.
- Updated the README file.
- Fixed few of the leakages from memory.
- Fixed some of the data in testing to work and make it compatible with other data sets.
- Recompiled the error-definition header files and Win32 linker tables.
- Added various .cvsignore files in repositories to update it within the folder.
2. 0.9.1c – 0.9.2 b
This version of OpenSSL is successor of 0.9.1c and got released on 22 March 1999 with minor changes in 6 April 1999.
Some of the changes in this version includes :
- Made Malloc Free by removing some of the erroneous code and legacy code base with malloc from the software.
- Fixed made for resolution of security loophole that persisted as the certifications was getting bypassed which made use of some wrong protocols before passing.
- rsa_oaep_test is performed which returns non-zero on causing any error on top of it.
- Support for native solaris to share among the libraries many of the important components.
- Private encryption routines and keys are generated using OpenSSL on satisfying some of the code like p>q while computation and performing some of the components.
- Some of the DES quad checksum was checked and then the sum was computed which got fixed in this release.
- All the output lines got consistent with the release of this version.
3. 0.9.3 a
This OpenSSL version is a successor of 0.9.2 b which got released on 9 August 1999 with some of the changes and bug fixes which are as follows:
- Installation of a library libRSAglue.a when OpenSSL is built with RSAref.
- Ifndef NO_FP_API pair of API gets consisted in it.
- Fixation of startdate and end date in which arguments are missing to ca program.
- New Function DSA_dup_DH duplicates DSA parameters or keys for the fixation of the important factors that are part of it.
This OpenSSL version is a successor of 0.9.3a which got released on 9 August 1999 with some more changes and bug fixing including.
- Fixes in memory leakage in i2d_DH params.
- K-option can be same as encrypted messages to be read by the multiple recipients.
- Added more support for SPARC Linux.
- Many C implementation and push activities has been scheduled with the functional arguments in this release version.
- MIPS III/IV assembler module is reimplemented.
- More DES library cleanups are used and then remove references to srand or deletes any unused files.
5. 0.9.5 – 0.9.5 a
This OpenSSL version is a successor of 9.4 and got released on 28 February 2000 with minor version change in 1 April 2000.
- In this version it is made sure to make use of _lrotl and _lrotr only use MSVC.
- Fix for HMAC whose key length was larger than MD block size.
- Bugfix for des_quad_cksum byte order for the solution.
- Update of test suite to make test succeed in no-rsa configuration.
6. 0.9.5a – 0.9.6m
This OpenSSL version is a successor of 9.5 and got released on 24 Sep 2000 with minor version changes.
- In ssl_23_get client, generates an error message with initial version release of initial SSL 3.0 with TLS protocol.
- Robust randomness gathering for proper functioning of windows.
- Compatible reasons if flag X509_V_FLAG_ISSUER check is not set and then that message is not handled with new information codes appropriately.
- Check for the content check is being detached with the pk7_smime.c structures.
7. 9.6 a – 9.6b
This OpenSSL version is a successor for 9.5 a and got released in 9 July 2001 with changes.
- In ssleay/OpenSSL PRNG whose state recovery was possible by output of one PRNG request and then updates some value.
- Fixed some of the crypto /bn/asm/mips 3.5.
- Handling special cases related to X509 for printing.
- Fix OAEP check.
8. 0.9.6h – 0.9.7
This OpenSSL version is released after release of OpenSSL 9.7 on 31 December 2002 which has the following changes:
- Fixing of Session ID handling in SSLv2 client code and simultaneous caching of session ID to match the behavior between client and server.
- Changes and declaration of needed Kerberos libraries to use EX_LIBS instead of special LIBKRB5.
- Disable of Hiemdal support for the work.
9. 0.9.8 – 1.0.0
This OpenSSL version 0f 0.9.8 is released on 5 July 2005 with patches and is successor for 1.0.0 release version which got released in 29 March 2010 supporting for some of the changes related to tolerating the private key value, handling of compressing algorithms, update of OCSP request code to permit adding custom headers, Disable MD2 in default configuration.
10. 1.0.1t and 1.0.1u
This OpenSSL version of 1.0.1 got released in 22 September 2016 with changes like SCTP support, PSS signatures, allows certificates for passage, TLS support.
11. 1.0.2 – 1.1.0
This OpenSSL version of 1.0.2 got released on 20 December 2019 and the later released in 10 September 2019 with changes like CCM cipersuites, support for extended master secrets and then support for DANE and certificate transparency, support for BLAKE2.
This OpenSSL version of 1.1.1 got released on 11 September 2018 supporting for most of the changes related to TLS 1.3, Support for ARIA, support for multi-prime RSA, heartbeat removed.
This OpenSSL version of 3.0 have some features and changes that got released on 18 February 2021 with changes like deprecation of obsolete EVP_PKEY_CTX_ukm() function which is not present in this version anymore, added a compile time option, combining some of the options like no-ec, no-dh, default key generation.
OpenSSL is a kind of software which is used for maintaining the network interface over the server and to maintain the web pages mostly supporting for HTTPS protocol which further compose TLS protocol to maintain the hierarchy thus it is quite flexible and useful as it allows for third party to intrude but with some certificates and safety precautions to avoid traffic sniffing and spoofing.
This is a guide to OpenSSL Version. Here we discuss the introduction and different OpenSSL version for better understanding. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –